Waccabuc is the most rustic and least populated of the hamlets that comprise the Westchester town of Lewisboro. Many of its country lanes remain unpaved, and its post office is a focal point of village life. Originally founded as a vacation community, the lifestyle remains relaxed despite the fact that Waccabuc is just an hour’s drive from Manhattan. One of the town’s former vacation homes is now occupied by the Waccabuc Country Club.
- Waccabuc is easily accessible from New York City. It’s approximately a 75 minute ride via Metro North’s Harlem Line to Grand Central Station from the nearby station at Goldens Bridge.
- There are a variety of surface routes available from Waccabuc, with easy access to I-684, and from there to the Saw Mill and Hutchinson River Parkways.
Waccabuc is a part of the nationally recognized Katonah-Lewisboro school district:
- Meadow Pond Elementary School 185 Smith Ridge Road, South Salem, NY 10590; tel. 914-763-7900
- Katonah Elementary School 106 Huntville Road, Katonah, NY 10536; tel. 914-763-7700
- Increase Miller Elementary School 186 Waccabuc Rd., Rt. 138, Goldens Bridge, NY 10526; tel. 914-763-7100
Waccabuc, as part of the Town of Lewisboro offers a large number of recreational activities to its residents, including two county parks, six town parks and several community preserves in addition to seven lakes covering about 1.9 square miles. Waccabuc’s pristine environs allow for some of the best hiking, biking and swimming in Westchester. Waccubuc’s privately owned country club is housed in one of the village’s original vacations homes.
Waccabuc Real Estate
According to Zillow, the median home value in Lewisboro is $552,100. Lewisboro home values have declined -15.5% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will fall -5.4% within the next year. The median home value is $1,243,423, earning Waccabuc a place on Forbes magazine’s annual list of “America’s Most Expensive ZIP Codes” and is listed above more recognizable towns in Westchester such as Scarsdale, Pound Ridge, and Chappaqua. Levitt-Fuirst provides homeowners insurance for properties in Waccabuc and surrounding Lewisboro (As of June, 2015)
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors: Since 1981, the Waccabuc Landowners Council has endeavored, through the participation of its residents, to maintain Waccabuc’s unique character and beauty. The organization’s goal is to maintain the village’s rustic atmosphere and spirit. The Three Lakes Council was organized in 1970 to lead and coordinate the environmental efforts for the Lake Waccabuc – Oscaleta – Rippowam watershed in the Town of Lewisboro.
- The Great Outdoors: The Lewisboro Garden Club, a non-profit organization, was founded in 1972 to encourage gardening, to aid in environmental conservation and to help beautify the town’s public areas. Many of its activities take place at Onatru Farm.
- Local Media: Lewisboro Daily Voice; Lewisboro Ledger; Bedford-Katonah Patch
- Town Resources: Town of Lewisboro Web Page;
- Lewisboro Chamber of Commerce: http://www.lewisborochamber.com/